Friday, April 18, 2014

Repost: Who or What would you die for?

Who or what would you die for? I asked this question of my neighborhood group the other night. Sure enough, we all picked family or friends. I mean, they are the ones important to us, right? But how close a friend would they have to be to be willing to lay down your life for them? And single member of my family, they were in the street and about to be hit by a bus, and I had a chance to push them out of the way while taking the hit myself, I would. I have many close friends who I love very much and would do the same. But what about the less close friends? The ones who I don't know that well? Would I do the same?
What about a complete stranger? Would I be willing to save their life by laying mine down?
What about someone who has done me evil? Who has hurt me over and over again? Degrades me, slanders me, tears me down and attacks me? Would I jump in front of that bus for him?
Today, on this Good Friday, we celebrate a man who died by taking on our own death. People who have rejected him, attacked him, and mocked him. He died for us.
I mean, how easy for us to die for someone we love, right? They love us back. It makes it so easy! I love you, you love me. You'd lay your life down for me, I'd lay my life down for you. But for a stranger? For an enemy?
I would like to think I'd be willing to lay my life down for a stranger or enemy. I know where I'm going and who's blood bought my ability to get there. To live is to get to show His love, to die is to enter in and live with Him for eternity.
So what would you lay your life down for? Who is worth showing such a great act of love?
Categories:

0 comments: