Saturday, May 10, 2014

Fear

I'm quickly becoming a fan of Kevin DeYoung. His book Just Do Something wrecked me. I was thrilled when I found out he posted regularly on the Gospel Coalition website.

I've dealt with fear. I've had doctors tell me very dark, disturbing news. I've had times of asking God why and wondering what my future will be. There have been relationships where I would rather do something to appease and control the situation for fear of losing it, than say what needs to be said or even more, to shut up and listen.

Fear is a powerful thing. The Bible speaks to it a lot. In the positive toward fearing God, and in the negative of fearing man, things, time, power, etc.

"That fear must die. For if the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, the fear of man is the beginning of misery, compromise, and disappointment." - Whom Shall You Fear

Fear is a choice. You have to allow something or someone to be intimidating or powerful enough to make you afraid of them. I remember when I was younger and would go down into our basement. It was dark. It was creepy. In the cold Colorado winters, it was, well... Cold. I loved how active my imagination was when I was younger, but down in that basement was another story. Shadows moved. Noises echoed. But really, nothing was all that different in the dark than in the light. I was just choosing to allow myself to believe otherwise. I knew better.

And that is a choice I don't think we often recognize we make. The choice to allow. This is seriously perverting our culture right now. "I can't help myself, my brain made me do it." "There's these chemicals floating around my body influencing me." "I can't stand up to him, I need this job too badly." "She's asking so much of me, but I can't lose her." You allow the circumstance to dictate your choice for you, enabling the perceived outcome to drive the point of decision.

We fear the outcome, so we choose what will "avoid" it.

Fear is not of God. We are to fear Him, but not His creation.
"And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." Matthew 10:28
Fear is a choice. We choose who we fear. What we fear. Do you fear death? Do you fear loneliness? Do you fear failed relationships? Do you fear failure? Do you fear your boss? Your parents? Your friends? Do you fear fear (of anything else but God)?

Whom do you fear?

0 comments: