When peace like a river attendeth my way,
[..]
thou hast taught me to say, "It is well, it is well with my soul."
- When Peace, Like a River - Horatio Gates Spafford (1873)I love the joke that I'm all for world peace. I'll take this piece of the world, and this piece, and... Yeah, that's my evil dictator wannabe slipping out there.
But how much do we hear of the desire for peace? How much do we desire it? Just the other day, Elton John was talking about how Jesus came to bring peace. Apparently he didn't read Mat 10:34
“Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Mat 10:34That word, peace, speaks of a harmony or accordance between two parties. Jesus didn't come to bring harmony to the world. He came to bring peace to us:
"Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." - Rom 5:1He justified us that we might no longer be at war with our Father. Not that we would no longer be at war with the world. It is broken, decaying, dying. This is not our home! How thankful I am for that! I will not seek peace with a dying world. I will not seek out it's fruit. I have peace with God, and in that I shall rest. It is well with my soul what goes on in this world, for He has orchestrated it. It is well with my soul for my soul is no longer at war with my Creator. Praise the merciful, gracious Father for the blessing of such peace.


0 comments:
Post a Comment