Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Rude Awakening

I usually love humorous videos and paradies. Their irony and ability to speak truth are impressive. But there's a new video going around that reminds me of a "debate" I once had about the age of accountability. While I may (not saying I was, especially now looking back) have been right in every point I made, I later found out that the person on the other side of the discussion had lost loved ones at really young ages. No, that experience does not change the truth, and the truth does need to be spoken, but not at the expense of someone else. Instead of building someone up in their faith, it tears them down. This video makes an effort to speak authority to a world that wants no authority, and for that I commend it. But to those who have fought the battle against abusive authority, it comes across much different than I believe the author intended.

So I'll do my best to ignore it, not aid in it's passing along, and stay mute except for this effort to remind people of the messages they send and the audience who they send it to.

This is the downside to "social" media, right? A sterile, "I don't know you well enough," "lob anything that I like at anyone, regardless of what they might think/feel," culture. It's what reflects you, right? Unless you somehow have amazing filters setup. (I.e. Post to group: "married, so they won't mind photos of couples", "have kids, so endless photos of babies are ok.", etc. If you do this, kudos for being a social media freak.)


I know I'm in the minority on this one. It's hard to watch this get passed around by so many people, especially good friends.

0 comments: